Oswald Defense Lawyer

"His mouth is in his brain"

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Evolution Made Me Do It


It's a lot easier to empathise with clients accused of murder when you realise how we are all genetically predisposed toward homicide, thanks to evolution. Some of us just do a better job of suppressing those urges than others. And that's only because we fear the repercussions of getting caught.

Today I finally finished reading "The Murderer Next Door: Why The Mind Is Designed To Kill," by David M. Buss, Professor of Evolutionary Psychology at the University of Texas. His book, which includes gruesome murder fantasies gathered from "regular" folks as part of years of research on the psychology of homicide, as well as several bizarre tales of tribal shenanigans, ends on this stark note:

Be aware of just how real the threat of murder is, especially by those we know and those we love. Beware of the man whose uninvited sexual stare lingers a second too long. Exercise caution around a stepparent who just might prefer that you didn't exist. Take heed of the rival who sits silently seething at your success. Think twice about the stoic whom you have just humiliated in front of his peers. Watch out for the ex-mate of the lover you've just lured away. Be wary of the romantics who thought you were "the one" before you unexpectedly spurned them. Be vigilant of the mate turned stalker who just won't let go. Murderers are waiting, they are watching, they are all around us.

12 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Nature's Rebel said...

It's hard to tell where you stand in all this. Evolutionary Psychology is a compelling yet easily manipulated science. If you are saying that we ought to have compassion for murderers, you are subject to the counter-argument that we also ought to have compassion for those who abhor murder, for both the urge to murder and repugnance for those who commit it are evolved mental states as far as the evolutionary paradigm is concerned. Neither Buss (I've read his textbook on the subject) nor other practioners and proponents bring this out sufficiently.

I'm at mentalrebellion.blogspot.com if you're interested in debating my observations on life. I'll check back on you here. Your perspective as a defense lawyer is intriguing.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger brainmarket said...

Nature's rebel:

I am not saying we should have compassion for murderers. Nor am I saying defense attorneys should have sympathy for their clients. I am simply saying that we should realize how close we all stand to the brink of homicidal conduct.

In my opinion, when a criminal defense attorney appreciates the similarities between his/her client and him/herself, that attorney is better equipped to defend the client.

(PS Will give your blog a closer look later)

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Nimiwey said...

OK, disturbing, brain. Believe me I've thought twice about a scorned unnamed ex-wife of yours from KY who surely would love to see me blue and cold. Living one's life in fear seems to be what that book is suggesting. Of course we all have the capacity to murder, which is why I often scoff when people say, "There's no way he could have done this, I know him" I feel humiliated for them. Is it evolution through the development of the brain, the enlargement of the frontal lobe? Murdering other humans is sometimes a necessity, as to protect oneself, family, or property. This must have always existed, even in cro-magnon times.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger brainmarket said...

Nimi . . . erm . . . are you mad at me?

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Nimiwey said...

What? Should I be??

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger brainmarket said...

Nimi:
No, but if you were . . .

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Nature's Rebel said...

Once we acknowledge that we all in fact are on the brink of doing something currently considered morally repulsive, we are going to need either a new moral paradigm or else to abandon the idea of morality entirely. I myself have long since crossed that brink, at least mentally, and I am trying to sort out the sequel. I think, Brainmarket, that you and I share a perspecitve of sorts.

The rest of this discussion confuses me.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Gopher said...

We surpress mudering because we are afraid of getting caught? How cynical you are. I surpress it because I feel it's the wrong thing to do, legal or none legal.

In fact as far as the law goes I generally don't take that much notice. I just do what feels the right thing to do... but I probably am the minority...

I'm sure that a skeptic will respond with some argument that I'm being far too utopic and that I probably am not as pure-thinking as I make out... who am I to argue?

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger brainmarket said...

Gopher:

And because we are afraid of going to bad hell instead of good heaven.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Gopher said...

Nope, I don't believe in heaven or hell either. I'm just a nice person without laws or the fear of eternal damnation.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger brainmarket said...

Gopher:

It's a lot easier to appear to act ethically when one believes in the whole heaven/hell thing.

Thus the popular temptation of Christianity, and the rarely accepted challenge of moral atheism.

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger Gopher said...

Definately. It's as if people struggle to be nice if they don't have a religion to make them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home