Oswald Defense Lawyer

"His mouth is in his brain"

Friday, September 30, 2005

The Joy of Demurring


"Your Honor, my client would like to withdraw his plea of not guilty. He appears to have been charged with a crime that does not exist."*

I could swear I heard the ghost of Franz Kafka chuckling in Department 8 this morning as I spoke.


* Mr. O. had been charged with a felony violation of California Penal Code section 422.7(b); "a crime that does not exist," according to People v. Wallace (2003) 109 Cal.App.4th 1699.

8 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger juniper said...

That's funny. I suppose that someone wanted to charge Mr. O with a hate crime. I'd think though, that reading the code section would tell a filing deputy that 422.7 is a sentencing provision.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great quote from the court of appeal. I am inspired to do some legal research on one of my own cases.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger brainmarket said...

Same thing goes for Penal Code section 186.22(d), btw.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Nimiwey said...

Maybe I could comment if you weren't speaking in numbers like you're The Borg.

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Nimiwey said...

my tummy hurts but ur sleeping so i cant tell u.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Nimiwey said...

Screeching...to...a...halt...

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger brainmarket said...

Yes nimiwey, my blog appears to be grinding to a halt. That's the price of maintaining a lean blog instead of a verbose outfall. Any suggestions?

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DaDa,

BaBa boobie doggie moobie baby mommy ball.

Just food for thought

Copernicus

 

Post a Comment

<< Home